RULES FOR DISCERNMENT - Fr Richard Leonard SJ
SUMMARY OF ST IGNATIUS LOYOLA'S RULES FOR DISCERNMENT (d. 1556)
1. Trust the common place, the ordinary, the everyday.
2. Live in the here and now: “one day at a time.”
3. Don't make a decision when we are down: be careful of emotional haste and be suspicious of the urgent.
4. Take wise advice wisely, from those we love, from the Church, from professionals.
5. Learn the patterns what leads to and away from God, light and love.
6. The bad spirit divides, isolates, locks us in our fears. The Holy Spirit draws us out into the open, to be transparent.
7. Feelings AND thoughts are good.
8. What is the most loving, joyful, peaceful, patient, kind, generous, faithful and self-controlled thing to do here? Gal 5:22
9. The world does not revolve around me: no work for the coming of the Kingdom is too small, irrelevant or inconsequential.
Richard Leonard SJ
CLICK HERE - longer version from Fr Richard Leonard's book, Where the hell is God?